Month: August 2012

More Chicken Mask Stuff…

I fear I made a terrible mistake electing to cover the mask in tiny, individual feathers. I really don’t know what I was thinking? What was supposed to be a fast, silly project has now turned into 3 full nights of cutting and glueing felt semicircles to duct tape. Hopefully there is just one more night of feathering then I can get to the fun stuff; the eyes, beak and hair-thing. Next time I will keep it SIMPLE. Lesson learned. Again.

More Chicken…

Went back to the studio tonight and jumped right back to my chicken mask. Why a chicken mask? I really don’t know but it’s fun!

First thing was to flesh out the frame with chicken wire…

20120814-000133.jpg

Next up was covering the entire thing in duct tape so I’d have something to glue the feathers to…

20120814-000336.jpg

20120814-000434.jpg

After he was completely covered in duct tape I started cutting up these little feather shapes and hot glueing them on. After I cut the first 10 I realized I would need to cut a LOT of feathers so I wasn’t gonna finish last night…

And here’s where I left off for the night. He’s currenty looking more like a pigeon than a chicken but I think all the grey / silver has something to do with that? Once I get the gobbler and the poofy hair on there I think he’ll turn and if not, I’ll tell everyone I made a pigeon!

Chicken Mask

I had no plans when I stepped into the studio on Monday night (and quite frankly, I didn’t want to go back there at all) but I had so much fun making a silly, bear mask for my son I figured why not make a chicken mask for myself?

First, I made a few quick doodles to get some ideas for shapes then I just started cutting and taping to make a shell that would fit over my head. There is nothing there except for a grocery bag and some duct tape. Once that was complete I cut some eye holes, attached a piece of construction paper to cover my neck and taped a big piece of wire on so I could match the shape and height I was after…

My next steps were to just keep adding wire to refine the shape. My goal for the mask is to keep it as SIMPLE as possible. I have a tendency to complicate things with lots of detail but with this I am aiming for bold, simple shapes.

Once the general shape of the head was in place I attached some temporary styrofoam eyes and a beak just to get a feel for how it will look when it’s complete. I don’t know if it will remain a chicken or transform into a crazy parakeet but it’s certainly fun to construct…